Taking charge of destiny and steering its course comes easily to Mr Ravi Pachamoothoo, Chairman of SRM Group.
The Group is known for its formidable foray into multi-vertical enterprise, having made its presence in the fields of engineering, medical education, healthcare, research, industry, infotainment, hospitality and transport across the country.
The seeds of the SRM Group were first laid when Dr T R Pachamuthu, Ravi Pachamoothoo’s father, began the Florence Nightingale School in West Mambalam, Chennai, India and the foundations for professional education in 1984, with the launch of Valliammai Polytechnic Institute. Mr Ravi Pachamoothoo has expanded the frontiers of the SRM group from an educational institute to a business empire with the largest portfolio of institutions in South India. With his broad vision, foresight, enterprise and determination he has broadened the horizon of the Group’s business to new heights with SRM University, SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centres, SRM Transport Private Ltd, SRM Hotels, SRM Cements, SRM Civil Works Pvt Ltd, Ready Mix Concretes (RMC) etc – all under the flagship of SRM.
Today SRM University has evolved as one of the top ranking universities in India with over 40000 students and 2600 plus faculty members, offering a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs in Engineering, Management, Medicine and Health sciences, and Science and Humanities in Tamilnadu, Ghaziabad, Sonepat and Sikkim.
The SRM group has established SRM Hospitals, colleges and research centres catering to the medical disciplines of nursing, physiotherapy, dentistry, occupational therapy and Indian medicine. SRM runs medical centres operating in multiple disciplines, including microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology and pharmacology. These services, 40 per cent of which are provided free of cost to the underprivileged, are made available to the general public at highly affordable rates in a bid to make good healthcare accessible to all.
All SRM University colleges have achieved many milestones right from inception, by forging partnerships and global links with the world’s leading medical universities. These partnerships and alliances give Group institutions
- access to the latest developments taking place in the field of medicine
- breakthroughs and research findings
- sharing of latest knowledge and data for safer and better cures for mankind
- updated protocols being followed in the western and European hospitals
- creation of highest standards and practices for prevention of diseases, diagnosis and treatment
Mr Pachamoothoo always sees a unifying goal behind all diverse ventures in that they either support or feed into the other, as signified by the Group’s foray into various businesses such as hospitality, transport, cement, construction etc.
Mr. Pachamoothoo’s passion for the Hospitality Industry has enabled the Group to set up five hotels of different categories at various locations in Tamil Nadu. He lays emphasis on quality, dedicated service, and focus on delivering sustainable growth. The Hotels under his control are acclaimed and conferred with awards.
He has also set up SRM Transports Private Limited which has a fleet of over 120 buses plying across the five southern states and about 30 car carriers, mini buses, bulkers, Speed Parcel Carriers and tourist cabs.
SRM Civil Works Private Limited is engaged in the production of Ready Mix Concretes (RMC) used for construction activities undertaken by the Company and others. They have two factories located in the suburbs of Chennai city.
Mr Pachamoothoo has a Midas’ touch in whatever ventures he turns his attention to. He took over a sick cement company situated in the state of Andhra Pradesh and within a short span of time turned into a profit making venture. The company provides direct employment to over 250 people and indirect employment to many. The cement unit has now initiated steps for expansion of its capacity.
Over the years, SRM has grown to be known for its integrity, ethical practice and transparency. Across all its verticals, the SRM Group has built on its foundation of deep-rooted values and endeavours to continue the group’s legacy with respect to its patients, partners and employees.
SRM Group Milestones
- 1969 – Inception of Florence Nightingale Primary School.
- 1981 – Upgrading the Primary School to the status of Matriculation Higher Secondary School.
- 1984 – Launch of Valliammai Polytechnic Institute.
- 1985 – Launch of SRM Engineering College in Kattankulathur, near Chennai.
- 1992 – 93 – Launch of SRM College of Nursing and SRM College of Pharmacy.
- 1993 – 94 – Launch of SRM School of Nursing and SRM College of Physiotherapy.
- 1993 – Launch of SRM Institute of Hotel Management in Chennai and Trichy
- 1993 – 94 – Launch of SRM Arts & Science College affiliated to the University of Madras.
- 1996 – Launch of SRM Polytechnic Institute.
- 1996 – 97 – Launch of Easwari Engineering College affiliated to the Anna University.
- 1996 – 97 – Launch of SRM College of Occupational Therapy.
- 1997 – 98 – Launch of SRM Institute of Management and Technology, Delhi.
- 1999 – Launch of Valliammai Engineering College affiliated to the Anna University.
- 2002 – UGC declared the SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai comprising SRM Dental College, Ramapuram as deemed University under Sec. 3 of the UGC Act 1956.
- 2003 – SRM Engineering, Kattankulathur, Chennai was brought under the ambit of SRMIST, Chennai.
- 2005 – 06 – The 1222-bed SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Chennai and School of Education, Faculty of Science and Humanities, was started in Kattankulathur.
- 2005 – SRM College of Pharmacy, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, in Chennai and SRM Institute of Management and Technology, Modinagar, Delhi was brought under the ambit of SRM University.
- 2006 – In September 2006, the Universities received recognition under Sec. 3 of the UGC Act 1956. SRMIST has since been known as SRM University.
- 2007 – SRM Kattankulathur Dental College was started under the ambit of SRM University.
- 2007 – Launch of SRM Community Radio.
- 2009 – 10 – Launch of 450-bed Chennai Medical College, Trichy.
- 2010 – Inter Disciplinary School of Indian System of Medicine.
- 2010 – 2011 – TRP Engineering College, Trichy, affiliated to the Anna University.
- 2011 – Launch of Faculty of Science and Humanities, Vadapalani, SRM University.
- 2012 – Launch of SRM University – Sonipat, Haryana – Medical, Engineering, Management, Science and Humanities
- 2012 – Launch of SIMS Hospital – Vadapalani, Chennai – a 360-bed multi super specialty hospital in Vadapalani, Chennai
As part of their growth, the Group has now started, SIMS Hospital – a 345-bed corporate hospital at Vadapalani, Chennai – which has the complete spectrum of Medical Services. SIMS Hospital’s vision is on paramount Patient Experience and Clinical Outcomes.
SRM Group is well-known for their educational forays had established a 1220 bed hospital at Kattankulathur near Chennai as part of their foray into healthcare education and healthcare services. A group that made its humble beginnings with a primary school in 1969, SRM is now a name synonymous with quality education. The group, which launched its first engineering college in 1985, started several quality institutions in the years that followed, whose steady progress contributed to its college acquiring the status of a deemed university by 2002.
A Rs. 1200-crore conglomerate with a formidable presence in the fields of engineering, medical education, hospitality, industry, healthcare, infotainment and transport, the SRM group has established SRM Hospitals, as well as colleges catering to the medical disciplines of nursing, physiotherapy, dentistry, occupational therapy and Indian medicine. SRM runs medical centres operating in multiple disciplines, including microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology and pharmacology. These services, 40 per cent of which are provided free of cost to the underprivileged, are made available to the general public at highly affordable rates in a bid to make good healthcare accessible to all.
Over the years, SRM has grown to be known for its integrity, ethical practice and transparency. Across all its verticals, the SRM Group has built on its foundation of deep-rooted values – and SIMS Hospital – Vadapalani, Chennai endeavours to continue the group’s legacy with respect to its patients, partners and employees.