Institute of Anaesthesiology & Pain Services at the SIMS Hospital – Vadapalani, Chennai provides expert anaesthesia care for the full spectrum of medical and surgical indications seen at a major tertiary health care centre.
Our Institute has state-of-the-art anaesthesia work stations and sophisticated monitors with the sole purpose of providing absolutely safe and effective anaesthesia for patients belonging to all age groups using evidence based techniques.
We have the provision for providing full general anaesthesia with a complete range of equipments as well as regional analgesia and nerve blocks using ultrasound guidance and nerve stimulators.
A “pre-operative checkup” clinic run by the Institute for assessment of patients coming for surgical procedures will optimize the status of patients for safe conduct of anaesthesia.
- Anaesthesia support for liver, heart and lung, kidney, pancreas, bone marrow transplants -managed by individuals with special expertise in these procedures
- Anaesthesia support for all Surgical Specialties is being provided by expert handpicked Anaesthesia personnel backed up by paramedical support staff
- Analgesia during childbirth with epidurals and other suitable methods is provided by Obstetric Anaesthesiologists
- Some short therapeutic procedures or diagnostic studies such as MRI Scan, CT scan, and Endoscopy procedures require the presence and special skills of an Anaesthesiologist
Our team of Anaesthesiologists also participates in the care of patients in the Medical, Neuro, Surgical and Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Units.
Division of Pain Services
Pain is a complicated, often debilitating medical problem that can have a major impact on your physical and mental well-being. The division of pain services at SIMS offers a comprehensive range of services for patients suffering from acute or chronic pain.
The pain services specialists at our centre provide some of the world’s most advanced treatment options in a supportive, compassionate environment both on inpatient and outpatient basis. They help patients return to independence and comfort, and have restored their quality of life.
Conditions treated at our Pain Clinic
- Pain following acute trauma like RTA, post operative pain etc.
- Trigeminal neuralgia and other orofacial pain
- Neck pain
- Myofascial pain and fibromyalgia pain
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy / causalgia pain
- Abdominal pain due to cancer pancreas or any other visceral cancer pain
- Vascular pain syndrome
- Herpes Zoster pain
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Low back pain
- Painful diabetic neuropathy
- Post thoracotomy pain
- Chronic pain which is generalized and not responding to other therapy
- Phantom limb pain-pain after amputation of limbs
- Pain in AIDS
- Central pain states-like pain following stroke, spinal cord injury etc
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Cancer pain
Our Pain Services centre offers numerous approaches to the management of your pain providing a holistic type of care. Some of our interventional techniques include:
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar and sacral epidural injections by interlinear route
- Transforaminal epidural blocks at lumbar and sacral levels and Radiofrequency Ablation of Dorsal Root Ganglion at Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar levels.
- Facet joint blocks-at cervical, thoracic and lumbar levels.
- Sympathetic blocks-including stellate ganglion block, Thoracic sympathetic block, Lumbar sympathetic block and Ganglion Impar block
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Radiofrequency ablation of selected nerves.
- Sacral epidural adhesiolysis
- Discography at cervical, thoracic and lumbar levels
- Intradiscal thermal therapy
- Percutaneous discectomy
- Spinal cord stimulator implantation
- Intrathecal pump implantation
- All types of nerve blocks-diagnostic and therapeutic
- Trigger point and joint injections
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
SPECIALISED DAY SURGERY UNIT; ‘SURGERY TODAY, HOME TODAY’
Most of these procedures are done as day care procedures in operation theatres with full monitoring facilities utilizing safe and accepted modalities of treatment and the patients can return home on the same day as the surgery.